Saturday, July 30, 2011

Nostalgia


Recently, I got a tweet from Pioneer Woman about a website that "sucked her in." When I went to check it out, I could instantly see what she meant.

The "Dear Photograph" site seems to be pretty new and what an awesome idea. It has people taking an old printed photograph and then snapping a picture while holding that photograph in the same place it was originally taken. Pretty cool to read the comments people include with their pictures.

Part of why I think I'm intrigued by this site is that I can't imagine living in the same place long enough to be able to take the picture of the past in the present. I have tons and tons of pictures but I'm no longer anywhere near where they were originally taken. Sometimes I think about how nice it would be to have grown up in one spot...to have friends who have known you since you were little...to remember when the giant oak was a newly planted seedling...It must be nice to have roots.

Then I think of how lucky I am to have lived so many different places. To have met so many people and encountered different things that I never would have had I stayed in one spot. I am not the same person I would be if I had never moved - and since I like the person I am (for the most part) I'm glad I've had those opportunities to live in different places and to visit even more.

Maybe someday I will retrace my steps and be able to take some pictures of the past in the present. In the meantime, I'll just have to be nostalgic looking at someone else's pictures and reading their thoughts...Not a bad way to pass some time.

No comments:

Post a Comment