Saturday, January 10, 2009

The Decision to Act

Amelia Earhart once said: "The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity."

I think this is true with most things. I know for me, there are many things I want to do, new things to try, places to go, etc...Yet, I often don't do them simply because I allow things to happen instead of making the decision to act and actually DO something.

Thursday I called to get more information about the OSC choir. That, in itself, was a step for me. However, I had to leave a message...So, Friday rolls around and I am out anyway, so I decide to go ahead, go to the choir practice and see what it's like. I get there only to find an empty parking lot and a sign on the door saying "No Choir Today." Very frustrating. It almost makes me not want to try again...but I have to remember, timing is everything and just because mine was off, I shouldn't give up on it.

If I plan on making my 2009 goals a reality, I am definitely going to have to work on, not just my timing, but also getting out there and making a decision to act. I have allowed too many things, in the last couple years, to just happen instead of making a decision and having things happen the way I want or the way I think they should. Then of course, not just make a decision but stick with it. For example the choir, I made a decision so I need to have the tenacity to stick with it. Go again, call again, give it another try...until I have seen what they are all about and can make a decision on whether or not I want to stick with them.

Tenacity...consistency...persistence. People used to stay I was one of the most persistent people they knew because I knew where I was supposed to be and what I was supposed to be doing and did whatever was necessary to make it happen. Somewhere along the way, I seem to have lost that. Now that I recognize and admit it is lost, I have a better chance of getting it back!

So, make a decision, act, and stick with it...Good plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment