Friday, May 8, 2009

Next Step for WASP Congressional Gold Medal

S614 - the bill to award the Congressional Gold Medal to the WASPs has received the 2/3 sponsorship it needs to leave the committee. Of the four Senators I called and sent an e-mail to, only Sen Warner (VA) signed on as co-sponsor (on 7 May). Despite that, I still feel as if, for the first time in my life, I might have actually contributed (in a small way) to the running of our government. And isn't that what a true democracy is all about?

The next step is HR2014. This Bill needs 92 more sponsors from the House of Representatives.

This morning I sent an e-mail to my Representatives (from KY, IL and VA). It's easy. Go to "Soap Box Alert," enter your zip code and type a short email. SAMPLE MESSAGE: "I would like to urge Representative ___ to support HR2014, awarding the Congressional Gold Medal to the Women Airforce Service Pilots of WWII, known as the WASP. Please contact Rep Illeana Ros-Liethen or Rep Susan Davis's office ASAP to sign on as a co-sponsor to the bill." Take a moment and add whatever you think might help.

For more information, take a look at my post from 2 May 09 ("Delayed Recognition") and/or visit the Wings Across America website.

3 comments:

  1. Hey, I think I did it correctly. Maybe I overstepped by also sending it to my two Senators, but that can't hurt, can it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Bigboid! and no, it can't hurt to ask the Senators for their support...
    While the bill (Senate bill S614) got "enough" support from the Senate to get through the committee, there are still numerous Senators who did not sign on as Co-sponsors of the bill. There is still time for them to do so, and personally, I can't imagine why they wouldn't...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I really admire your dedication and determination!

    ReplyDelete