Friday, March 18, 2011

St. Patrick's Day Cupcakes

This year, I wanted to do something special for St. Patrick's day but hadn't been able to think of what...as soon as I saw this recipe I knew I had to try it. 

I've mentioned before how much I enjoy Roni's Weigh...well, she has another blog called Green Lite Bites where she posts healthy recipes. Between the two sites, I read about and got the recipe for Simple Green Cupcakes - perfect for St. Patrick's Day!

It's a very simple recipe:
1 cup applesauce
4 cups raw spinach ( I don't think I actually used that much, but I used a lot!)
1 Box store bought white cake mix
Sprinkles

Puree the spinach and applesauce to mush
Dump cake mix and puree into a large bowl and mix on medium for 2 minutes
Pour into cupcake liners (I ended up with about 18...)
Add sprinkles, if desired
Bake for 20 minutes at 350 degrees

They turned out really green and were delicious! I think this will become a new St. Patrick's Day tradition (and maybe other times throughout the year too...).

As Roni says, they aren't necessarily health food, but hey, if it's got spinach and applesauce in it - it's way up from what I normally eat!


No comments:

Post a Comment